Parent Category: Class Description
Category: Restaurant Style Dancing
Restaurant Style Sword Dancing
Audiences love the sword dance (a.k.a. Raqs al Saif). Swords are weapons, men fight with them, and women dance with them. Sword dances are fascinating, dangerous, and demand respect. And in a restaurant setting, you are expected to not just walk but dance around with a sword on your head, to do tricks, and to demonstrate that this is not just a large and heavy object, but that you can handle it with grace and incorporate it into your dance routine.
In this course we will
- Review different commercially available swords balanced for belly dance, their characteristics in terms of balance, weight, cost, size.
- Match different swords to different costumes and dances
- Learn tricks to keep the sword safely on our head
- Learn to balance a sword on our head and hip
- Learn different ways to handle a sword
- Learn to present it dramatically yet safely
- Learn to incorporate a sword into a dance